Thursday, March 12, 2009

My new class

Well, a new adventure is beginning. Last summer I shared the news that I had started in the online MSLIS program at Syracuse University. I attended the residency part of the program in July but then got hung up a bit on some life issues that needed my attention. I enjoyed the classes I took but I began to realize that the emphasis of the program is clearly on library and information management - sort of an MBA for libraries. The trouble is that management is not at all what I'm looking for. I've worked at management and administration and it's not what I want to be doing.

The impetus for graduate school was my desire to be in a position where I could work more closely with students. I began to realize that what I really want to be doing is teaching and that I would probably be much happier pursuing a degree in education than in library and information science. It doesn't seem like it should have been quite so difficult to figure this out, does it? My solution was to try out a few courses at Plymouth State University in the M.Ed. program. I think I'm most likely to pursue a focus on either General Science Teaching or Heritage Studies.

I've recently started my first two courses - Teaching in a Networked Classroom and Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society and I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place. I find the material very interesting, I enjoy the online discussion groups and I'm particularly looking forward to finding ways to put my interest in technology "toys" to good use.

Stay tuned for future developments!

No comments: