Saturday, August 29, 2009

A thing of beauty...



This amazing fungus is growing on a tree right along the road near here. My neighbor says it's a Sulphur Shelf Fungus, though the pictures I've found on the internet don't really seem to resemble this one so much. Perhaps someone out there is more familiar with fungi than I am and knows?

I wanted to take a picture with my son standing near it for scale, but it'd have to be on the house side of the tree which is in someone's yard. He's fourteen and nearly six feet tall, a big kid, and the fungus body is just about the size of his torso, we figured.

I drive by it at least two or three times a day, but I only just noticed it recently, even though it must have been there through the summer. It's an astoundingly beautiful thing. Just goes to show how selective is our mind's eye...

No comments: